A lot families that, when asked, can name a recipe that is special to them. In other words, their signature family recipe. Mine is no different. For as long as I can remember, Bloody Mary Soup has been a staple at our family Christmas celebrations. It is the recipe that I look forward to all year. Who am I kidding…I make this throughout the year. It is my ultimate comfort food and seriously easy to make. I mean what is not to love, tomato soup, mushrooms, bacon (for people who can eat bacon), and gin/vodka!
* 2 x 32oz Clamato Juice
* 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 2 tsp salt
* 16oz mushrooms (I like a mix of button and portobello, but use what you like)
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 cup gin or vodka
* bacon bits (optional)
* dried chopped onion bits (optional)
1) In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat and sauté mushrooms until tender (approximately 8 minutes)
2) Once mushrooms are done sauteing, add Clamato juice, worcestershire sauce, and salt. If you would like this recipe to be kid-friendly, add the gin/vodka at this stage to allow alcohol to cook out.
3) Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
4) For adult soup: Add gin/vodka now.
5) Serve with bacon and onion bits if you want